The 7 best topics to talk about on a first date. First dates can be awkward, no matter how much experience you have with them. Fortunately, there are plenty of good first-date topics to choose from that will make the whole experience much less painful.
These topics will help you get to know your date better, too, which may help determine whether or not you want to see each other again in the future. Keep these seven topics handy and try to incorporate at least one into your next first date conversation!
How do you keep a conversation on the first date?
There’s no need to overthink things or put any pressure on yourself – just be yourself and let the conversation flow. Here are seven great topics to keep the conversation going on a first date:
1. What are your hobbies and interests?
2. What kind of music do you like?
3. What’s your favorite TV show or movie?
4. Do you have any siblings or pets?
5. Where did you grow up?
What to talk about on a first date with someone you know?
Assuming you already know the basics about your date (like their favorite foods, music, and movies), here are some great topics to keep the conversation flowing on a first date:
1. Family – Get to know your date’s family dynamic.
Do they have siblings?
What were their parents like growing up?
2. Hobbies – What does your date like to do in their free time?
Do they have any unique hobbies or interests?
How often do they participate in these activities?
What type of gear or equipment do they use for these activities?
Is there anything interesting that has happened during one of these events recently?
3. Places You’ve Been – Where is your date from originally? Have you ever been there before, and if so what did you think of it? If not, where would be an interesting place to visit together someday as a group trip or as an individual travel experience for just the two of you?
The 7 Best Topics to Talk About on a First Date
Talking about your job on a first date can be a great way to get to know someone new. You can talk about what you do, why you like it, and what your goals are. Plus, it’s a great way to gauge if your date is interested in what you do. If they’re not, then you might want to move on to another topic.
It’s best to stay away from touchy subjects such as religion or politics unless you’re looking for an argument. However, these topics make for good conversation starters!
First dates can be nerve-wracking. You want to make a good impression, but you don’t want to say the wrong thing. One way to avoid awkward silence is to have some good topics in mind ahead of time. Here are six great topics to get the conversation flowing on a first date
1) What are your hobbies?
2) What was your favorite book when you were little?
3) If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
4) What’s your favorite TV show right now?
5) Where do you like to travel to most often?
6) What’s the most unusual place where someone has asked for your phone number or asked you out on a date?
3. Family History
Your family history can be a great conversation starter on a first date. It can help you learn about your date’s upbringing, values, and traditions. Plus, talking about your family can be a great way to get to know someone better.
Here are some tips for talking about your family history on a first date It can take time to figure out what the best method of communication is for each couple – sometimes it’s through text messages, sometimes it’s FaceTime, and other times one person prefers texting while the other would rather talk over Skype.
The most important thing is to find a way that works best for both partners.
4. Future Plans
1. It’s always good to have an idea of what you want in the future. Not only does it show that you’re ambitious, but it also lets your date know what they can expect from you.
2. Talking about your future plans also gives you a chance to gauge your date’s level of interest in you. If they seem disinterested or even unenthused, it might be best to move on. In contrast, if they are talking enthusiastically about their own ambitions and goals for the future, this could be a sign that you two will go well together.
3. Long-Term Goals: Of course, long-term goals should involve more than just yourself; with some time spent thinking about how those goals affect others around you (including your partner). And while these conversations may be difficult at first, it is worth working through any difficulties to keep relationships healthy and happy!
Money is always a touchy subject, but it’s especially important to be on the same page when you’re first starting out. Do you like to save or spend?
What are your financial goals?
Do you have any debt?
How do you feel about discussing money with your partner?
These are all important questions to ask early on in a relationship.
If you both agree that you want to save and plan for the future while enjoying some of life’s luxuries now, then great! If not, that’s okay too! Communication is key.
6. Goofy Jokes
Jokes are a great way to break the ice and get to know someone new. Plus, who doesn’t love a good laugh? Here are some of our favorite jokes to get you started First, What did one snowman say to the other snowman? Do you smell carrots?
Second, What do firemen put out fires with? Water!
Third, Why was six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine! Fourth, What’s brown and sticky? A stick!
Fifth, Knock knock.
Who’s there? Donald Trump! Donald Trump who? Just kidding it’s just me (waving)!
Sixth, In the sky, there is a road called the Milky Way. Why is it called that? Because milk makes it white, and we’re all headed that way (laughing).
7. Current Events
When it comes to first dates, there are a few things you should avoid talking about if you want things to go well. Politics and religion are usually off-limits, as are exes and other taboo subjects. However, there are plenty of other topics that make for great conversation starters. Here are seven of the best topics to talk about on a first date:
1) Your favorite TV show
2) Your favorite book
3) The worst date you’ve ever been on
4) The last movie you saw
5) How has your day gone so far
6) Your hobbies and interests
7) A random fact about yourself
Bottomline On The 7 Best Topics to Talk About on a First Date
We all know how nerve-wracking first dates can be. You want to make a good impression, but you don’t want to say the wrong thing and make things awkward.
Pin Me For Later!